Thursday 15 December 2011

once upon a time...

I found these vintage children's books in a wonderful local bookshop called The Haunted Bookshop. I can't help but be charmed by the old-fashioned illustrations and quaint language ("chums"). It makes me feel nostalgic, but not for my own childhood: these are the books my parents' generation read as children. I love the sense that leafing through them connects me with another age.
I have decided to give some as Christmas presents to my nephew and niece, friends' children, and my son, in the hope that they too will find pleasure in peeking into childhoods of yesteryear. And some things don't change: naughty kittens and other cute animals, teddies, magic, friendship, and trains - all topics still adored by little ones.
I remember my mum telling me about Bill and Ben, the Flowerpot Men. I love that in this story they discover a Bush Baby!
My toddler is obsessed with trains and will love the story of Andy Pandy's train ride into the countryside. He'll also enjoy pointing out the teddy and shouting "nounou"! ("nounours" is French for teddy).
Of course, giving these books a new lease of life in the hands of the next generation is also about avoiding buying new things this Christmas, as part of my Careful Christmas Project (which is going pretty well, by the way!)

you may also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...