Friday 27 January 2012

seeing what's near

I spend a lot of time wishing I could visit this place and that place. The blog world has given me a great image of Portland, Oregan (is it really craft heaven?) and I've always wanted to go to Japan. My recent visit to Austin, Texas reminded me what a cool city it is. But the truth is, I live in a pretty incredible place as it is.
Yesterday as I was popping out of work for some lunch, I suddenly noticed the market, whose striped awnings brighten up the aptly named Market Square on a daily basis.
As well as the inevitable touristy bits and bobs, here you can find locally-grown vegetables, home-made bread and cakes, vintage clothes, a dressmaker who'll fix hems etc., a second-hand book stall, and various crafty sellers offering ceramics, wooden toys, jewellery...
It struck me that if I were a visitor here I'd think this the most incredible market and wish I had something like that every day in my own town! As it is, I tend not to notice it until I need it. Taking some photos in true tourist style helped me see it anew. Sometimes it's good to be a tourist in your own city.
I was also struck by the number of men in hats and waxed jackets at this second-hand book stall!
On my way back to work I walked past one of my favourite local shops: ARK. They sell all kinds of pretty, homely, unusual bits and pieces (a good supply of vintage ribbon), and they have another outlet with vintage clothes.

Obviously the market is not the most beautiful thing about Cambridge and there are many other beautiful things (buildings, especially) that  I walk past every day without fully appreciating them.

But this just happened to be what I saw at a particular moment, with some dramatic clouds and light, and it reminded me how lucky I am to live somewhere that has more on offer than chain stores.

you may also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...